Saturday, September 15, 2012

Shetland Ram

This spring I had decided I wanted to paint a different subject than the landscapes I was concentrating on. I began a painting of a marvelous Shetland Ram who lives at Chaffin Orchards off of highway 70 not too far from Paradise. I had not painted an stately animal like this one, and found its long tresses and wonderful curved horns to be a great challenge to recreate in pastel.  I sent a  picture I took while the painting was nearing completion to the Chris Kerston at Chaffin Orchards to let him know I had chosen the ram as my subject.

Chris wrote me back and asked if he could purchase a framed print when it was completed. He wanted to give it as a gift to his partner that raises the Shetland sheep. I explained to Chris that I do not make prints of my artwork, but that I am sure we could work out a trade with part cash and some barter for some of the fine products the farm sells. Chris liked that idea, and so once the painting was completed I began looking around for an appropriate frame. I decided that the best frame would be old barn wood, because it would fit the Ram and go well with the painting.

I found a large barn wood frame at Hobby Lobby for $30.00 and managed to carefully cut it down to a 23" square frame to fit the format of the square picture. Once matted and placed behind protective glass, the painting was ready for delivery.  I hope you enjoy it as much as Chris and his partner did when he and his wife surprised him with the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment