Monday, February 22, 2010

A Beautiful Sunny Day to Garden!

How nice to wake up to blue skys and sunshine! We had a hard frost last night after yesterday's rain so everything is white and frozen.  My daffodils don't seem to mind and they are brightly turning their faces to the sun and showing off their finery. There are mostly all yellow or white daffodils with frilly white centers out at the moment, but we are still about a week to two weeks away from full bloom.  By then we will have a golden carpet of yellow flowering through the yard and many of the other varities will begin blooming.

Whyen I went to get the morning paper the thermometer said 32 degrees. My pickip was bathed in a coating of ice and frost. All of the water droplets from yesterdays rain were frozen on the body of the truck like little pebbles.  Thank goodness I did not need to go anywhere early today, I would need a scraper to clear the windows!

It should be a good day to finish pruning the nectarine tree and the three apple trees. Then I will respray since I have a day or so before the next rain comes through. I had an unexpected surprise on Saturday morning. Two ladies came knocking on the front door, and no they weren't from Watchtower (phew), they were Placer County Master Gardeners.  They asked if they could tour our garden, we had been recommended to be a part of their May 9th tour and they wanted to have a look.

I gladly took them on a tour of the garden to show them the various features we have landscaped. There are many flower beds filled with different varities of flowering bushes or flowers and crushed granite pathways take one to different places through the garden and under a couple of rose pergolas.  We have 54 different rose varities, which are just beginning to sprout new growth, many different Day Lilys, a variety of Peonies and our little pond with prety goldfish and a waterfall.

The ladies were very pleased with what they saw, and said they would like to put us on the tour along with our next door neighbors Al and Kay. They said it would be great to have two houses side by side that people could wander from one to the other to enjoy the gardens. They asked if I would participate and I said yes, thinking about the work I must do to make sure that the garden is worthy of people's time to visit. Since it is May, I have several months to whip it into shape. Guess I had better get started!

1 comment:

  1. Your Garden is always in shape in my eyes..but then again you saw my backyard. I am sure everyone touring it will enjoy it very much. I look forward to helping you with your veggie garden this year :)

    ReplyDelete