Friday, January 29, 2010

Dusk Settling Over the River

Yesterday I spoke of my realization that there is a lot more colors in things than first meets the eye. My challenge yesterday was to paint a pastel from a pretty lifeless photo. I cheated as artists often do and added some clouds, because there were none and I used a plethora of color to bring the painting alive. I titled this finished piece "Dusk Settling Over the River." 

This pastel reminded me of the times when I have sat by a river as the sun is setting.  Shadows lengthen, the light mutes and a soft pink light comes into the sky. The reflection in the river also changes as the water begins to tutn a darker blue with rose colored highlights. It is always quieter, birds are still flying and twittering, and because of the coolness, swallows are dancing over the water catching the bugs that are starting to fill the night air. The hills or mountains still in full sun take on a golden glow as the suns receding rays play over them. Crickets chirp, and frogs begin a cacaphony of noise as if to celebrate the coolness of the evening. Fish rise to the surface and here and there you hear their splash as they leap up to catch an insect that is close to the water. The air cools and you can feel the dampness, and smell the scent of fresh grass. Sometimes you will hear the soft whoo, whoo of an owl, rousing itself to begin the nights hunt.

Perhaps you can think of times when you sat by a river, and that time and place are in your thoughts as a pleasant memory. I hope you can go back in time. I just did.

  

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love the colors. I can think of many times I sat by a river but it didn't look as pretty as this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the fine completion on this one.

    ReplyDelete