Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ruffled Feathers

Yesterday afternoon when I was sitting in the den with my wife and daughter, we heard a bang against the glass of the sliding door that leads onto the deck.  This happens on occassion when birds at the feeders are startled by a predator or a bully Scrub Jay.  They flee in all directions, and this little bird had run right into one of our windows. Amber cried, oh no the bird is dying, its shaking. I quickly went outside to see if there was anything I could do. It had come around and was sitting on the edge of a pot, but it looked dazed.

I carefully picked up the bird and put it in my hand, and stroked it gently.  It did not make a sound, nor did it try to get away. It was obviously dazed and trying to get its senes back. It appeared to be a fairly young dark eyed Junco. After a few minutes had passed, it did not appear that the bird had any visible injuries, and nothing appeared to be broken. Amber got my camera and took a few pictures.  I put it up on the edge of a large pot so it would be out of harms way, and it just sat there collecting its wits I presume.

I went inside and got some sun flower seed and put it next to the bird, but it showed no inclination to eat. I'm not sure if it was even aware of the food. I took a few more pictures and then wase going to go back inside when it decided to fly and landed on a strut underneath a patio table. It was obviously okay and that was good news.  It sat there for a while and then flew onto the deck and hopped aroud. It was obviously, doing better. Shortly after it then took off. I'm sure that if it has a mate, it will share about its close call and headache! 

3 comments:

  1. It was sad he hit the window but kind of cool to get up close! It is good he was okay and flew away.

    I am sure he will share with his mate...unless his mate was his reason for him flying into the window in the first place...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! It's a heartwarming story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you were there Amber, thanks for your help!

    Thanks Gewn; Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete