Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Getting a Truck to fit my Steering Wheel Cover

Sure its a silly title, but I just thought it funny this week when I saw my daughter saying on Twitter that she was a bit of a pack rat. Of course Mom chimed in and said, gee I know where you got that from! Yep, she sure did, and it took me a lot of years to perfect the art of being a pack rat.

A saleman friend called Paul called me from the Auburn Honda dealership here in town and left this message on our answerphone, "Hey Paul, you still looking for a small truck, I have one that just came in on a trade."  Well I would have called him back, but the power was out and our phone like everything else, was dead.  I couldn't call him on my cell because we have no cell reception at our home. Thanks Verizon, still need another tower in this area! 

In spite of the lousey weather, I decided to go down to the dealership and see if Paul was in, and if their lights were still on. Sure enough he was there, and they had avoided the outage. I told Paul I got his message and would like to have a look at the truck. He said, sure, let me grab my coat.  Salesmen would go out in a blizzard with you if they thought you might buy a car on that day.  Paul's no dummy though, rather than us traipse out in the driving rain and gail force winds to see the P/U, he tossed the keys to a mechanic's helper and asked if he could pull the car in a bay so we could go over it.  Sure the young man said, and took off and jumped in a grey Nissan truck. He pulled it into the bay, and I could see right away that it was well taken care of.  No scratches, no dents, new tires, a bedliner, hmmm, this is looking pretty good. We popped the hood so I could take a look at the engine, and it had obviously been detailed because it was as clean as a new truck.

Paul said, want to go for a test drive?  Sure, I said, as long as we don't blow off the road.  Good weather to check and see how it handles he said as he got in the passenger side. The care interior was clean, carpets looked in great shape, and everything had been Armour-alled to a bright shine. Well the truck started right up, and I backed out into the elements to check out this little ride. We took a loop around town, and up onto the freeway. Although it was very windy, the truck held steady. Wipers squeaked and left little lines giving me less than the best of visibility.  Those need to be replaced I said. The little truck was only a four cylinder, but it was suprisingly peppy, and had no rattles. We took it on some rougher roads in town and didn't hear anything loose, or any strange clanks or squeaks, with the exception of the wipers.   Paul opened the glove box and there was a little notebook with service dates and times, and any item repaired or checked on the truck. It had enough legroom, and everything pointed to a former owner that cared about this little truck. That little book in the former owner's handwriting was a real indicator of someone who had been pretty meticulous. As I drove it back into the bay at the dealership, Paul said, well what do you think, pretty good for a truck with only 66,00 miles? I said, I would like to see what you will give me for my car, if it works out, I'll buy it.

Well to cut a long story short, they put new wipers and a new back window in the truck and I bought it.  After all the paperwork was done, I had a spin down to Rocklin and back and it handled well in the stormy weather. I noticed how slippery the steering wheel felt and thought I need to put a cover on this. Well it just so happens I had a brand new one in the garage that we had bought a long time ago for my old car. I hadn't sold it at our garage sale and had put it away. It was the perfect match for this truck!  When I went in the house I kiddingly told my wife, well Cindy, I finally bought a truck to match that steering wheel cover I was saving!

2 comments:

  1. Haha..wow I think I definitely got my hoarding skills from you..but I think it loses it's effect from generation to generation because I can't say I would of kept a steering wheel cover for that long...although I admit I still have every single pair of running shoes I have ever owned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, my smile for the night. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete